.. Submissions ..
GMLR is NOT accepting print submissions at this time.
The George Mason Law Review publishes four times a year. One to two of issues are published in conjunction with symposia hosted by the Law Review. The remainder of these issues contain four to five professional articles. All issues contain one to three student pieces. The Law Review only considers student work from Antonin Scalia Law School students for print issues. The Articles Committee will only consider submissions received through this form or Scholastica. Due to the high number of submissions we receive, we are unable to review and respond to each one.
- Developments pieces present current, timely, relevant, and shorter first-impression articles that address new legal developments.
- Developments pieces are published on a quicker publication schedule (2-3 months).
- Developments pieces are typically 5,000-8,000 words in length (between 20 and 35 pages).
- Please email GMLR if you need an expedited review.
The GMLR Forum is currently accepting submissions.
- GMLR Forum submissions should be short, original pieces of timely scholarship on newsworthy topics that are accessible to a wide audience.
- Forum pieces may be short articles, responses to other Forum pieces (GMLR or elsewhere), responses to other articles, or essays.
- Pieces may be authored by professors, practitioners, or students.
- Once a piece is selected, it typically takes about six weeks to publish it.
- All Forum pieces must be 5,000 words or less (10 pages single spaced). The page limit includes footnotes. However, shorter pieces are encouraged.
- Lighter footnoting is also encouraged. The average Forum piece should have 40-50 footnotes.
- Longer pieces may be accepted for exceptional submissions.
- Forum pieces may be categorized as “Essay,” “Short Article,” “Response to GMLR Article,” or “Response to non-GMLR Article” on the submission form.
STUDENT ESSAY CONTEST
- GMLR hosts an annual student essay contest open to law students attending any ABA-accredited law school during the contest.
- The contest opens on October 1 of each year with submissions due December 31. The topic varies each year.
- Pieces should be no longer than 7,500 words double spaced (about 30 pages).
- Please select “GMLR Writing Competition Submission” on the submission form.
- Check out our Announcements page for more details about past competitions.
- Please email email GMLR if you need an expedited review.